Studebaker was established in 1902 by Henry and Clem Studebaker, when they built
their first electric car. A total of 1841 of these cars were sold, when they launched
their first car with a petrol engine in 1912, although they had built the Garford-
Studebaker with petrol engines since 1904, as well as the Flanders and EMF cars.
From 1913 Studebaker offered four and six cylinder models. The company expanded,
while they built more large cars with six cylinder engines from 1919. They achieved a
turnover of $100 Million by 1922 and in 1925 they sold 100’000 cars for the first time.
The company did very well till Albert Erskine, a new director took charge. From then
the company struggled along, particularly during the 1928 depression. In 1942 the
company started manufacturing army vehicles.